Tuesday, July 18, 2017
Taking Stock
Last spring, I took an online novel writing class. It wasn't my first. My third actually. I liked the classes, despite a few downsides. I liked having a goal and a deadline, and I really liked getting feedback from my teacher and peers. Even reading other people's excerpts was fun, and occasionally inspiring.
I've missed the motivation of the class during the summer. I do have a few things that the class provided. A goal, a deadline, and an awesome friend that reads my stuff and gives me feedback every two weeks. I have met with two other ladies from the class to do the same thing, but they have so much stuff going on in their lives that they haven't been able to write much.
As for the goal and deadline, my goal is actually to finish my rough draft by the end of the summer. As I discussed with my husband, the deadline can be interpreted a few different ways, but I originally intended it to be before fall semester starts on August 14. I have no way to track where I'm at regarding my goal, since I have no idea how long this book is going to be. I thought it would have three parts, but I'm just about done with Part Three and I'm not at the planned end yet. I always write at least a sentence per day, but some (very few!) days I write 10 pages. In total, I'm at almost 450 pages and 130,000 words. Since class ended, I've written over 160 pages.
I am incredulous. Truly stunned. There are so many days that I only write a sentence or two. Sometimes the sentence is three words. Sometimes I delete the sentence the very next day. I spent most of June in a slump, working through the middle of part 2. Even now, it's full of scenes I hate, that I know will be rewritten.
I'm not trying to brag. I guess I'm just a little proud of myself (very odd for me). I'll be 40 next month. I have spent my entire life starting projects and (almost) never finishing them. I look back over my life and I see an ocean of failed starts. I have a craft room stuffed full of supplies and abandoned, half-finished "great ideas."
Granted, I don't have what many so many people have in their lives. I don't have kids or trips or needy pets, but I do have my own obstacles. I have a full-time job, and classes during the semester and a husband who is very good at talking me into relaxing and playing video games (Which I also never finish!) instead of anything productive.
I considered posting this later, waiting until I had hit a more concrete goal, like actually finishing Part Three. But why wait? It's the journey part I've always liked. Today is just another step on the journey. Best to celebrate it while it's here. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment